søndag 18. mai 2014

A very untraditional 17th of May celebration

Happy 17th of May, everyone! The 17th of May is Norway's Constitution Day. It was signed in 1814, and today marks the 200th year anniversary. Hipp hipp hurra! Gratulerer med dagen! 

The 17th of May is a very special day for Norwegians. Norwegian flags can be seen all around, children walk in parades, and the streets are filled with lots of people that are eager to celebrate lovely Norway. Though this may sound strange, the 17th of May is also a day when kids (and adults) are allowed to eat as many hot dogs and ice cream as they please. 


Personally, I think the best part about the 17th of May is that everyone gets dressed up. In Norway we have traditional folk costumes called bunads (pronounced boo - nahhds). There are lots of different types, and they vary depending on the region they come from in Norway. It's common to get a bunad as a gift for confirmation at around age 15. I didn't get a bunad until a few years ago. I think the wait did me well. I was thrilled to FINALLY get a bunad. I absolutely love it! It makes me feel super Norwegian.


My bunad is from Vestfold, the county West of the Oslo Fjord. My Bestefar (my dad's father) and Bestemor (my dad's mother) both are from this county, along with the rest of their family. It was in other words an easy decision to make when deciding which bunad to get. 

Everything on the bunad is made by hand, and it took about 8 months to finally get it. All the measurements are taken specifically for the bunad-wearer, so it fits perfectly. Great incentive to not gain any weight during the year! Luckily, the seamstresses include some more fabric in case one needs to have it altered. 


Bunads are expensive. Partly because everything is sewn/embroidered by hand, and partly because there is so much silver required. They range from around $2000-$10 000, depending on the design, fabric, embroidery, gold, silver, and accessories. Unsurprisingly, it's common to get your bunad insured. My bunad will likely be the most expensive thing I will ever have in my closet.

The accessories on the bunads are lovely. Lots of silver, a cape, and even these fun pilgram-looking shoes. It takes about 20 minutes to get everything put on correctly. I've needed assistance getting everything on correctly the two times I've worn mine. It's not easy getting everything right! You don't want to get caught wearing something wrong by the Bunad Police (i.e. old women who know exactly how everything is supposed to look). 
The majority of the bunad is made of wool, and it is therefore very heavy. I hauled it as a carry on back and forth from Oslo - Tromsø last year, and several women stopped me at the airport offering their sympathy; "Oh, you poor thing. I know how heavy those bunads are!" Heavy is an understatement - I almost had to amputate my arms afterwards. It was worth it though. I couldn't miss an opportunity to wear my bunad! 
The Little Red Riding Hood-esque cape is probably my favorite part of the bunad
Bunads aren't just for women; men also have their own bunads. Here's my classmate, Lars Petter, in his recently acquired bunad. There's nothing like a handsome guy in a bunad (especially when he has a Norwegian flag stuck to his forehead). 
Champagne brunches are also usually a part of the celebration. Lots of yummy food, great company, and lots of bubbly! A great start way to celebrate the nation, if you ask me. 
May 17th in 2012 in Drammen with Pernille and Helene
Champagne brunch at our place in Tromsø May 17th, 2013 
As you probably can tell by all the bunad talk and pictures, I'm missing my bunad and Norway quite a bit today. I spent this 17th of May in California, and it was very untraditional. No bunad, no champagne brunch, and no ice cream. I've just been running errands all day, trying to get things ready for my big brother's wedding. The big day is in a week, and time is running out to get everything done! 

Although this 17th of May was very untraditional, and I'm missing valuable bunad-wearing-time, I'm so happy to be here. I'm spending some quality time with my Mumsy before my Papa, soon-to-be-sister-in-law, and brother fly in to the city in a few days. It will be great to see them all again, too! 
Hope everyone had a fabulous 17th of May wherever in the world you may be. Gratulerer med dagen! 

Love, 

Suzy 

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar