torsdag 6. mars 2014

Extreme Exposure Therapy: SKYDIVING

I am finally able to cross "skydiving" off my bucket list. It's one of those things I've always wanted to do, but never gone through with. Partly because it's pretty expensive, and partly because I'm terrified of flying. I hate the feeling of take-off and landing, and have a totally irrational fear that the plane is suddenly going to drop from the sky. Despite my aviophobia I took the plunge yesterday. I survived jumping out of a plane at 14,000 ft. Hello, extreme exposure therapy! 
I went with two friends, Anita (classmate from Norway) and Devan (Isabelle's American roommate). We booked the trip last week through Skydive the Beach. It cost AUD $259 (1400kr/$234) to jump tandem (meaning that you jump with an instructor). The jump site was in North Wollongong, about 1,5 hours from Sydney. Anita and I were both super nervous about skydiving, so we felt like the sooner we book it, the sooner we can get it over with. Also, booking it right away ensured that we wouldn't back out. Devan was the cool one; she was actually excited about and looking forward this experience. Hah! 

The company provided a complimentary shuttle from Sydney to Wollongong. Devan and I had to take the train at 5am in order to get there on time. Only slept an hour and a half because I was too nervous to sleep. While Anita and Devan took naps on the drive to Wollongong, I sat there questioning why in the world I was voluntarily going to jump out of a plane. I had actually PAID to jump out of a plane. Madness! How could they sleep at a time like this?!

Mixed feeling about what was about to happen
Once we got to Wollongong everything went very fast paced. Signed a few papers saying that we wouldn't sue the company if we got injured or died, got some info about what was about to happen, and met our instructors. It was nerve wracking getting all the gear on. I would definitely recommend the company we used. The guy I jumped with, Michael, was the best; funny, knowledgeable, and very understanding that I was scared out of my mind. 
There were 5 other people in our group that were going to jump along with us. We jumped from 14,000 ft. Climbing up to this altitude took about 15 - 20 minutes (… or so they told us. It felt like AGES). We kept thinking we had reached 14,000 ft, and the instructors would smirk and show us their altitude-measure-watch-thingies. Not even close! 
My terrified reaction to take off 
When the correct altitude was reached, it was time to jump out. I was second to last to jump out. Watching 6 other people jump/fall out of the plane is terrifying. You know it's your turn soon, and there's only one way out of the plane. No turning back now. When it was our turn, we scooted to the plane door, I dangled my feet out, put my head back, and said my goodbyes. 
So beautiful, yet so terrifying
Holding on to my harness for dear life
Skydiving was probably the most exhilarating and terrifying thing I have ever done in my life. Sitting on the edge of the plane felt like sitting at the end of the world. Looking down and seeing how tiny everything below was. Like a little world of Legos. I can't accurately describe what was going through my mind. It was surreal. 

We were free falling for about 60 seconds, but felt like much longer. I think I was screaming the whole time, but it was impossible to hear anything because of the wind. My throat felt sore at least. I was happy that once we jumped from the plane (technically I was pushed out), I was able to actually enjoy the experience. Total adrenaline rush. 


Once the parachute was opened, it took about 5 minutes to land. The view was (obviously) spectacular. We chose an excellent day to jump; the weather was perfect. 

I decided to withhold the skydiving details from the family until I was safely on the ground. It's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission, right? My Grandma reacted exactly how I thought she would. "Oh, Susanna, why do you do this to me? Promise me that there will be no more of this!" She is adorable. 
After the jump, we were feeling more alive than ever before. So high on life! I'm so happy that I went through with the jump. I would actually consider doing it again (not anytime soon though, Grandma). 
Our demeanor changed dramatically from pre to post-jump 
So happy to be alive
Anita's husband, Tord, met us for lunch in Wollongong after the jump. We had a view of the gorgeous beach, and the food and beer tasted great! 
Local beer from Wollongong
We soaked up some Australian rays at the beach after lunch. It was an uncrowded, beautiful beach. Unfortunately, the sunny weather drastically changed after about an hour. The rain was suddenly pouring down. We caught a cab, and took the train back to Macquarie. 


All in all, it was a day filled with suspense, fear, exhilaration, and joy. AWESOME DAY! It will take a lot to top this. 

Love, 

Suzy

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar